DIY Paper Straw Flags

June 22, 2011

Last week I shared a few ideas about how I would like to decorate our house for our big birthday party. I decided to stick with mint and bright yellow and pair it with a dark gray. I love this color palette! I also drew silhouettes of the Mr. and I for our invitations. I loved them so much I’m getting art prints made for our bedroom.

The party will be here before we know it, so I started making some decorations. The first thing I started with is making custom flags for paper straws. I was very easy to make and I love the way it looks. I even made a little tutorial so you can make them too. I’m loving little flags right now and these would be perfect for a wedding or a 4th of July party.

UPDATE: I made a free template for Word. All you need to do is type in the text boxes, choose your font color and print! I recommend printing it on smooth 8.5″ x 11″ card-stock. If you only want the text to appear on one side of the flag, delete every other column of text in Word.

Download:
Free Paper Straw Flag Template for Word

1. You will need paper straws (I purchased mine here), colored card-stock paper, the template above, and an desktop printer. You will also need narrow permanent double-sided tape.

2. Use a straight edge and x-acto blade or paper cutter to cut your soon-to-be-flags into strips.

3. You should have little strips of paper that look like mine above.

4. Use permanent (not removable) double-sided tape. Place this on the back side of the paper strip. I tried using a glue stick and they didn’t hold up. I also tried using removable double-sided tape and this also didn’t hold. PVA glue would probably be the best adhesive to use, but I was too impatient to wait for it to dry.

5. Wrap the paper strip around a straw. Then use small, sharp scissor to cut a triangle out of the end of the flag. This give it the oh-so-cute flag shape.

And that’s it! Easy, right? I can’t wait to make these for summer dinner parties and just about every occasion!

Thanks for featuring our straws! This is a super super cute spread!

The Gray Goose

Update: I made a free template for Word!

Sarah Post author

Can you please email template to toniaroc@gmail.com

Tonia

Is the word template some where on your site or can you email it to me as well? vogueandvintage@gmail.com ?

Vogue & Vintage

Hi! The link to download the template is at the top of the post (here’s the link).

Sarah Post author

Sarah, can you please email me the word template??? TIA

chrissy556@gmail.com

chrissy

Thank you for this tutorial and free template!! I just made it my own and printed it out and it’s perfect!! You now have a new follower!!

Laurie Davis

So happy to hear that! Thanks so much Laurie!

Sarah Post author

Thank you so much for the tutorial and template!!!! How do I change the font though for all of the boxes at once? I want a cursive font instead of the Helvitca. Thank you!

Princess

Princess, thanks for downloading the template! Unfortunately, Word will not let you change the font of multiple text boxes at the same time. I will absolutely try to find a work around in my next Word templates. Thanks for stopping by!

Sarah Post author

Thank you so much for your post! You present really easy instructions and my flags came out perfect. And your template was so helpful! Love your site!

Fortuna

Thank you for the template ! that’s fantastic –> new twitter follower ! can’t wait to read yout tweets

HelloAix

Whatta great freebie! I just spent ten minutes customizing these for my upcoming engagement party. I downloaded that font from your previous freebie post “Later On” — too cute!

I love the way they came out; thanks for sharing!

Chelsea

Hi there!

Unfortunately, the link to the free template is not working. would you mind emailing it to me at nicciharrell@gmail.com? Thanks!

Leigh's Wedding

Love the page!

Leslie

Thanks so much for sharing your template, it worked out great for me! I made drink flags for my travel themed wedding and wrote “cheers” in different languages. They look awesome :) Cheers!

Meena

Hi, I was wondering if you could print these out on label paper? so all you have to do is cut them and then fold around the straw since both sides are sticky!

Thanks!

Stephanie

@ Stephanie: Yes, that’s a great idea! I haven’t tried it myself but I’m sure it would work.

Sarah Post author

I just wanted to say thank you for posting this tutorial.

I am by no means a DIY girl but this is pretty much idiot proof. I’ll be making these flags to add to straws for our wedding. :)

Melissa

Melissa

@Melissa Congrats on your engagement! I’m so happy you’ll be using them! I’d love to see photos of them after!

Sarah Post author

Thank you! I needed a strip template and this is perfect! :)

Lena

PERFECTION! Thanks for the freebie. I will be using these in my wedding. It is so fool-proof I almost feel talented :-)

Dawn

Thanks Sarah , I’m planning my daughter’s 1st Birthday Party this template sure comes in handy

La Toya

Hello, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i
was just wondering if you get a lot of spam responses? If so how do you stop it, any
plugin or anything you can suggest? I get so
much lately it’s driving me mad so any support is very much appreciated.

business Article

I showcased my own variation of these on my blog today. I made a few up for my daughter’s first birthday. I linked your tuitorial in my post. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Lauren

Great tips! Can I please have the template sent to chelseamtucker@gmail.com? Thanks!

Chelsea

This was so helpful and easy. Thank you!

Sunshine

I would also love to have the template emailed to me at mvadillo85@gmail.com
I had problems opening the link!

Mary

Hi, thanks for these! Im definitely using this for my daughter’s 3rd birthday party. I really appreciate you for putting this one on your lovely blog. ?

Arnie

Hi I just come across this page and would appreciate if you could email

the template to me. Thank you for your consideration.

Loh Mei Leng

Hi I was just wondering if it were possible for you to email the template to me. I would really appreciate it. Love your blog! Very creative!

Christina

Would you mind sending the word template for the straw tags – thanks so much for doing this. Do you think it would work on any Avery label or just stick to card stock? Glad I found your site.

Carrie

Disregard sending the template – just saw it above – sorry!

Carrie

Hi, Loved this tutorial and the template. Many thanks for sharing it, using it for my daughter’s 2nd birthday. Can you please tell me how did you put in figures/head images of a man and a woman. I want to put in a daisy, right now I have worked around and inserted an image but it would be nice to know if there is any other way.

Cidzz

Cidzz, So glad you enjoyed the tutorial. I actually first created the template and our silhouettes in Adobe Illustrator so I duplicated the icons. In Word (or Pages) since each size of the flag is a text box, you should be able to place an image (like a JPG) directly inside each box. Best of luck!

Sarah Post author

I pay a visit every day some websites and websites to read posts, except this web site gives feature based writing.

Ariel