DIY Paper Plate Basket Tutorial

June 28, 2011

Update:: I made a video tutorial for this DIY. Check it out below!

Last night I download the July issue of Martha Stewart Living on my iPad. I didn’t get too far into the issue as I skimmed it’s pages until I fell asleep. They had a link to summer crafts and I was surprised to see several new cute tutorials. So today I decided to try one out and add my own twist. The results are above. All you need is paper plates and some cute tape and you have a great way to serve food for your fourth of July picnic or bar-b-que!

The following directions are based on the craft from Martha Stewart. The tutorial on her site said to hold the basket together with a rubber band. I think that would be cute, but I love love love washi tape so I decided to use that. You can use either method, if you find another way to hold the basket together, please let me know.

I can’t wait to serve appetizers and desserts in these! Or you can line them with wax paper and serve potato or pasta salad in them.

1. You will need the following supplies: white paper plates (1 plate per basket), scissors, paper edger scissors (I used my pinking shears), a ruler, pencil, washi tape or rubber bands, and 4 paper clips.

2. Using the paper edger scissors or pinking shears, trim about 1/4″ off of the circumference of the plate.

3. Flip the plate over so the front side is facing down. Use the pencil and ruler to make a 9-section grid. Try your best to make the center square in the center of the plate. If you want you can measure it.

4. Use the regular scissors to cut a slit along every other vertical line. Stop cutting where the vertical line intersects with the center square.

5. Fold one side at a time up to form the “basket”. Use one paper clip to hold each side together as you assemble the basket.

6. Use washi tape and wrap it around the basket and then remove the paper clips. If you are using rubber bands, simple wrap the rubber bands around the basket. And you’re done! Now fill them up with summer treats!

I wonder if you could us double sided tape on the flaps and then wrap ribbon around it for decoration. LOVE this idea!

Kate

What is washi tape and where do you buy it? This is SO cute!

Sherry

Thanks Kate! You definitely could. I would recommend using a glue gun to hold the “basket” together. I don’t think double-sided tape would be strong enough.

Sherry, washi tape is Japanese masking-like tape. It’s thin and comes in many colors and prints. You can buy it from many places on-line. I’ve purchased some from Happy Tape before. You can also find a lot on Etsy. There are so many cute prints you may want them all!

Sarah Post author

Genius! I am SO trying this when I get my hands on some berries ;) or maybe even muffins or cookies, then attach a handle on these cute baskets? Oh…I see a lot of ways to decorate these. Thanks for the awesome tutorial ^^

-kathy from http://cupcakes-music-fashion.com/

Kathy

LOVE this idea! Would be so cute on a kid’s table with coordinating colors! Thank you for sharing!

Kris Pare

Oh goodness,this is sooo adorable! I just have to make this too! Red Liner tape would hold this,it is strong! A common scrapbook item, here is the link if you are not familiar with it! Thanks for this tutorial!!
I have to get some Washi Tape!

Bonnie Nyquist

What a great tip. I am going to use this for Christmas when I bake for my teachers and friends. Decorative ribbon from the fabric store is what I will use to hold basket together. The possibilities are endless. I will probably paint or decorate the outside of the basket as well. Thanks again for this wonderful find.

Yvette

Fun! The tape looks just like cute ribbon!

Jordan (Wayward Girls' Crafts)

Those are really cute! Thanks for sharing!

Laney

Lovely! Thanks so much for sharing… it inspired this: https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/34115165/1/GeneralSharePhotos?h=de74f9

Mainly, I used string and cardboard shapes tucked in the string.

Lisa

these are the cutest! So glad I found you! Trying this.
d e n i s e

denise sabia

I’m going to try this later but, with a twist! I’m going to cut some vertical slits (so as if you were cutting the tape in small sections) and then weave some ribbon through. I’ll let you know if it works! Thanks for posting the tutorial!

Nicola

Wow!, it’s fantastic, I love it, is a nice idea!, Thanks for share it with us.

Xoxo

Virginia

THAT IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE MOST USEFUL/CRAFTY BASKETS THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN!

annette mccutcheon

Duct tape comes in many designs and sheets now. Just trim it to desired width and then peel back the paper backing to place.

Sara

Love this idea! I think the small paper plates (saucer size) might be cute for treat cups for a child’s birthday party. Think I’ll try it!!

Patricia

Thanks so much for sharing this! I’ve booked marked it because I’ve been on the prowl for something my daughter can do. Thanks again from your newest follower:)

Brenda

I love your mod of this project! Featuring it on Dollar Store Crafts on the 17th! The url will be: http://dollarstorecrafts.com/2011/09/make-paper-plate-baskets/

Heather - Dollar Store Crafts

So cute. These would be great little baskets for party favors too. Love it!

HarmonicMama

This is such an amazing tutorial. So simple, so easy, so perfectly perfect.

Suzanne

Thanks, it´s really cute!

laura

Love your blog!!!

This idea is in my “to do” list and I just shared in my blog, with your youtube video and the merit you deserve :)

TKS and congratulations!

Sónia Torres

This is such a fabulous project – thanks so much fpr letting me feature it over at TipJunkie!
Lowri

Lowri McNabb

These are so darn cute, I can’t even handle it! Hope to make them someday!!!!!!!!

Kim @ Plumberry Pie

I LOVE this idea and you totally saved me — I needed some cute last-minute Easter baskets for my nieces, and these were perfect!! Thanks so much for posting!

Cee Cee

Thanks, Cee Cee! Glad they were useful! Hope your nieces loved them!

Sarah Post author

i just came across your site and this adorable idea. I will be using this in the future when I entertain outdoors! Looking forward to following.

Jen Brown

What a simple and great idea!

Hope you’re having a great day! ;D

Miki.

Miki

Hi, I just found your blog through Pinterest :) I totally love this and will be featuring it tomorrow! Thanks for sharing!

Weiya @ enjoyer of grace

So glad my sister told me about you. Love your idea. May I pass it on to others? Ladies group at church can use this a lot of ways. Thanks again.

Dee

Dee, you and your ladies group can absolutely use it! I’d love to see photos!

Sarah Post author

love this…so clever!

helena

This is an adorable Washi Tape project!

Shirsha

Love the idea. I couldn’t find myself a paper plate to use & desperately wanted to make one of these immediately when I saw this video so instead I used cardboard & did the same thing with a cardboard circle. Made the gift box & put chocolates in it for a friend. Loved it!

Adelle Sauer

Pingback: Berry Baskets

I was watching one of my favorite cooking shows (Kelsey’s Essentials with Kelsey Nixon) and she mentioned this craft! So glad her show led me to your blog! I love this!

Lianna

Love this project! The boxes are just so cute; and inexpensive!!

Samantha

love this! Thanks for sharing! :)

mayliam

Amazing !!!!! Beautiful Idea !!! I’m going to do this for the next cup-cake party really do !!!!!

Alejandra Hidalgo

I just saw this idea on pinterest. It was not contributed to you, but I knew from the pic it was a stolen idea. I googled paper plate boxes and found you :) I posted a link to your website in the comments section of the pin. And pinned it myself linking back to you.

Alisa

Super cute. I was watching Kelsey’s Essential’s on TV on the cooking channel and she made this and mentioned your blog. That’s how I found you.
Blessings~Nancy

Nancy

This is such a great idea! Being a big huge fan of sweet treats, I’m going to use these for cookies :D Thanks for the wonderful tutorial :)

Sarah (Buttercreamgirl)

Hi! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established
blog. Is it difficult to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any tips or suggestions? Many thanks

web page

My developer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.

I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve
been using Movable-type on a number of websites for
about a year and am concerned about switching to another
platform. I have heard excellent things about blogengine.net.
Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into
it? Any help would be really appreciated!

diesel jeans

this is a great craft, and looks fun. cant wait to try it with my ladies group ,thanks

debbie

What a great idea! Was stuck for how to wrap gooey chocolate squares for my son’s nursery bake sale – they couldn’t be stacked on top of each other in the usual cellophane bags. For those in the UK, Amazon has a large selection of washi tape in pretty designs as it’s used for scrapbooking.

PS