Nutella Banana Muffin Recipe

February 8, 2012Sarah Khandjian
Valentine's Day Breakfast Nutella Banana Muffins

Valentine's Day Breakfast Nutella Banana Muffins

While I’ve been house bound recovering from foot surgery, I am (slightly) ashamed to say I consumed an entire jar of Nutella and a few packages of delicious, Florida strawberries. While I’ve been on this Nutella kick, I searched for other ways to enjoy the chocolate hazelnut goodness. I  stumbled upon this Nutella banana muffin recipe on Sweet Pea’s Kitchen and thought I should give it a try. It’s easy to make and absolutely delicious!

If you’re planning on making your love breakfast this Valentine’s Day, you should make these. Your significant other will love you forever (or at least until the last muffin is consumed). The recipe is below and you can even print out the cute little “you are sweet,” tags to put on them. Or use the tags on a box of chocolates or tried around a gorgeous bouquet.

Valentine's Day Breakfast Nutella Banana Muffins

Valentine's Day Breakfast Nutella Banana Muffins

I baked the muffins in little paper baking molds. If you live in central Florida, I purchased them at D & G Occasions, a great local bakery supply store. For every one else, you can find them online at Mignon Kitchen Co.

Valentine's Day Breakfast Nutella Banana Muffins

Valentine’s “You are Sweet” Gift Tags
Download the tags here!

Nutella Banana Muffins

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon table salt
• 3 very ripe bananas, mashed well (mine were a little green and thats ok too)
• 1/4 cup plain yogurt
• 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped, optional (If you’re cheap, like me, and have walnuts in your pantry, use them)
• 1/4 cup Nutella (one teaspoon per muffin… or tablespoon if you must)

1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. If you are using the paper baking molds, just place them on a baking sheet. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. If you are using an electric upright mixer, you can mix this in a bowl.
2. In another large bowl, combine the mash bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter, and vanilla.
3. Slowly add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix to combine.
4. Fold in the nuts if you chose to add the. If the batter is really thick, add a little bit of milk.
5.  Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 of the way full. Spoon one teaspoon (or more) of Nutella on top of each muffin. Then use a toothpick to swirl the Nutella with the batter. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a rack.
6. Print out sweet tag template on white card stock and cut out each tag. If you have a circle punch, you that, it works perfectly. Use your favorite ribbon or baker’s twine and wrap it around the muffins. Punch a hold on the tag and thread it though the ribbon or twine and tie a bow. Now give some sweets to your sweetie (and save a few for yourself, of course).

Recipe via Sweet Pea’s Kitchen

• katie

February 8, 2012 at 11:28 am

In step 5 it looks like you left out the addition of the nutella. 🙂

these look amazing!

1. Sarah

February 8, 2012 at 11:30 am

Thanks for catching that, Katie! And thanks for stopping by 🙂

• Banana Nutella Muffins | KP in Real Life

February 15, 2012 at 1:59 pm

[…] favorites, nutella. The recipe I decided to try comes from a blog named Sarah Hearts and is titled Banana Nutella Muffins! Long story short, they were a hit! A perfect mixture of chocolate and banana! So here is the […]

• Deby

May 6, 2012 at 7:44 am

Hi there,
    I just tried the recipe above, and am sooooo happy with the result. Am so using this for my gal’s bday party. Just to let you know…am your fans!

1. Sarah

May 6, 2012 at 11:00 am

Thanks Deby! I hope she loves it!

• Khris

January 13, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Thanks for sharing..I have posted/linked to you on my Freebies blog too…they look great….thanks, Khris

• Sarah Hearts – Valentine’s Day DIY Projects

February 21, 2013 at 5:46 pm

[…] Painted cork coasters / 2. Nutella banana muffins (perfect for breakfast in bed or make a bunch to share at the office) / 3. Printable love […]

• Gostosura do Dia | Muffins de Nutella e Banana | Blog de Casamento

May 31, 2013 at 7:00 am

[…] Principalmente para aquelas que quase nunca entram na cozinha, o que acham de surpreender o seu namorado com um muffin feito com suas próprias mãozinhas, acompanhado de uma tag carinhosa? A receita você confere aqui. […]

• Leonel Folino

May 31, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Southeast Asian farmers first domesticated bananas. Recent archaeological and palaeoenvironmental evidence at Kuk Swamp in the Western Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea suggests that banana cultivation there goes back to at least 5000 BCE, and possibly to 8000 BCE..:””

Very latest content straight from our own internet page
    <http://www.healthwellnessbook.com/

• Carmen Johnston Gardens : Valentine’s Day Brunch for Your Best Gal Pals

February 11, 2014 at 10:12 pm

[…] to Bottom: Heart Waffle Sandwiches, Nutella Banana Muffins, Mini Pancake […]

• Lina

April 14, 2014 at 5:01 pm

I just made them and they are delicous! It smells like heaven in my kitchen. Thank you for sharing!

1. Sarah

April 15, 2014 at 6:02 pm

So glad you enjoyed the recipe, Lina!

• christine

November 4, 2017 at 3:38 am

Looks delicious! Is there anything else I can use instead of Nutella?

1. Sarah

November 6, 2017 at 9:30 pm

Hi Christine! Though I haven’t personally tried it, I bet you could substitute the Nutella with cookie butter, chocolate almond butter or one of your favorite nut butters.