Nutella Banana Muffin Recipe
February 8, 2012
While I’ve been house bound recovering from foot surgery, I am (slightly) ashamed to say I consumed an entire jar of Nutella and a few packages of delicious, Florida strawberries. While I’ve been on this Nutella kick, I searched for other ways to enjoy the chocolate hazelnut goodness. I stumbled upon this Nutella banana muffin recipe on Sweet Pea’s Kitchen and thought I should give it a try. It’s easy to make and absolutely delicious!
If you’re planning on making your love breakfast this Valentine’s Day, you should make these. Your significant other will love you forever (or at least until the last muffin is consumed). The recipe is below and you can even print out the cute little “you are sweet,” tags to put on them. Or use the tags on a box of chocolates or tried around a gorgeous bouquet.
I baked the muffins in little paper baking molds. If you live in central Florida, I purchased them at D & G Occasions, a great local bakery supply store. For every one else, you can find them online at Mignon Kitchen Co.
Valentine’s “You are Sweet” Gift Tags
Download the tags here!
Nutella Banana Muffins
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon table salt
• 3 very ripe bananas, mashed well (mine were a little green and thats ok too)
• 1/4 cup plain yogurt
• 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped, optional (If you’re cheap, like me, and have walnuts in your pantry, use them)
• 1/4 cup Nutella (one teaspoon per muffin… or tablespoon if you must)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. If you are using the paper baking molds, just place them on a baking sheet. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. If you are using an electric upright mixer, you can mix this in a bowl.
2. In another large bowl, combine the mash bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter, and vanilla.
3. Slowly add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix to combine.
4. Fold in the nuts if you chose to add the. If the batter is really thick, add a little bit of milk.
5. Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 of the way full. Spoon one teaspoon (or more) of Nutella on top of each muffin. Then use a toothpick to swirl the Nutella with the batter. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a rack.
6. Print out sweet tag template on white card stock and cut out each tag. If you have a circle punch, you that, it works perfectly. Use your favorite ribbon or baker’s twine and wrap it around the muffins. Punch a hold on the tag and thread it though the ribbon or twine and tie a bow. Now give some sweets to your sweetie (and save a few for yourself, of course).
Recipe via Sweet Pea’s Kitchen