DIY Anthropologie Chalkboard Spice Jars

February 18, 2013Sarah Khandjian

DIY Anthropologie Chalkboard Spice Jars by Sarah Hearts

I’ve been eyeing these cute little white jars at Anthropologie for a while (ok, I’ve actually been eyeing a million things at Antro). After seeing several glass jars sitting in our recycling been the idea to make my own Antro-esque chalkboard jars popped into my head. Anthropologie sells the jars for $10-$12 each and I made mine using only supplies I had on hand.

To make your own chalkboard jars you need spray paint, clean glass jars with lids, and chalkboard labels. I used larger (salsa) jars but baby food jars would be the perfect size if you wanted to use them as spice jars. I already had a ton of spray paint in the garage so this ended up being a zero-budget project! I applied 3 coats to each jar, allowing them to dry completely between coats.

To make the chalkboard labels I used my Silhouette Cameo and some chalkboard adhesive vinyl I had on hand. If you don’t have a cutting machine you can always use chalkboard labels. In a few hours and for little to no money you can make your Anthropologie chalkboard spice jars o start saving all those little glass jars!

DIY Anthropologie Chalkboard Spice Jars by Sarah Hearts

• Angela

February 21, 2013 at 12:39 am

I’ve been eyeing these jars at Anthro for quite some time, too! Can’t wait to get my craft on! Thanks Sarah!!!

• Stephanie

June 26, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Did you use food safe paint?

1. Sarah

June 27, 2013 at 12:42 pm

No, I didn’t. For that reason I ended up using the jars to store craft supplies. If you intend to use them for food, I would definitely use food-safe paint!

1. Tammy L.

March 14, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Does it really matter? The food , spice in on the inside of the jar, not the outside.

• DIY Craft Roundup of the Month : Confessions of a Posh Mommy

June 27, 2013 at 11:05 am

[…] Wire chandelier from Ashley Ann, 2. Chalkboard jars from Sarah Hearts, 3. Fauxdenza  from The Brick House, 4. Hanging planter from Hello There Home, 5. 10 DIY summer […]

• Sarah Hearts – Chalkboard Crate 3 Ways

July 16, 2013 at 6:56 pm

[…] more chalkboard paint ideas, check out my chalkboard bar bottle labels, Anthropologie inspired jars, and chalkboard drink […]

• Kelly Grohler

July 31, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Awesome! They look great! Im new to blogging & enjoyed this very much. Thanks again 🙂

• Leah

October 30, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Thank you so much for this great idea! I love Anthropologie! I admired these little jars the last time I shopped there. I’m going to have to DIY some for myself. LOVE!

• Susan

November 5, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Did you spray the inside or outside of jars? Thanks so much!

1. Sarah

November 5, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Hi Susan! I sprayed the outside of the jars with gloss spray paint.

• Tiersha

December 3, 2013 at 9:54 am

If you just painted the outside, does it really matter if it’s food-safe paint?

• Susan

January 5, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Did you spray the jar covers inside and out with 3 coats as well?

1. Sarah

January 6, 2014 at 9:45 am

Hi Susan, I only sprayed the tops and sides of the lids. I was afraid the paint may chip if I painted the inside of the lids.

• Debbie

January 10, 2014 at 11:10 pm

I am going to revamp some old milk glass spice bottles. I am just not sure how to make a template so that all of my labels are consistant in size and shape. Any ideas? Do the chalkboard labels mentioned in your tutorial adhere well enough that when wiping the bottle s off that they don’t lift around the edges?

1. Sarah

January 12, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I found the Silhouette chalkboard adhesive vinyl sticks really well and doesn’t peel off.

• Nina

January 27, 2014 at 11:32 am

These are brilliant! My research on paints shows me there really isn’t a food safe paint only food safe acrylic to keep it from chipping. I bet if you didn’t paint the threads on the jars and don’t paint underneath the lids you’d be fine. I repurpose jars all the time.
    Cute!

• Morgan

March 9, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I love this idea! Saw it on Pinterest and I thought they look so cute! I am only a kid so I don’t have spray paint so would ordinary paint be OK as I have a lot of paints and stuff like that (acrylic and just ordinary paint I found in The Works)

Also do you have BlogLovin’? I have it for my blog and I thought it was great! I’d love to follow you!

MorganRuby x

• krystal wallace

March 19, 2014 at 1:33 am

Love this, like ornaments could you put paint on inside and mix around or would u still have to paint outside because its clear . Working with kids and didnt want to use spray paint because of fumes

1. Sarah

March 20, 2014 at 10:46 am

Hi Krystal, you can definitely use non-toxic aryclic paint and swirl it around the inside of the glass. Just make sure to let them dry upside down, over night.

• Barbara

April 26, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Just an FYI: I purchased the exact same Anthropology jars at Michael’s for $3.99 each.

• Rachel

June 27, 2014 at 2:19 am

Love this idea! I have tons of herbs and spices sitting on my counter, Mostly because I use them so frequently and I lack nearby cabinet space. So I’ve been trying to think of a prettier, yet inexpensive way to store them. I was wondering if you think chalkboard paint would work for a stenciled-on label. I also thought about painting the whole jar in chalkboard paint with a contasting lid. But I have no idea if it would stick to the glass, or easily scratch right off. Think it would work?

1. Sarah

July 1, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Love the idea of painting the entire jar in chalkboard paint. I haven’t tried using it on glass so I recommend painting one (even use an old glass jar you would just toss in the recycling bin) and see how it holds up. If it starts to peel, try painting the jars with a coat of primer first. Good luck!

• 52 Incredible Furniture Store Knock Offs – DIY Joy

January 13, 2016 at 8:09 am

[…] sarahhearts […]

• Jam Session 2015 | sonst noch was?

May 10, 2016 at 7:16 am

[…] Dann hat man ein hübsches Kärtchen zum an-das-Glas-benzeln, das beispielsweise ganz wunderbar zu Marmeladengläsern mit Tafelfarbe-Etiketten […]

• Noemi Cardoso | Cool Home Decor Hacks That Cost $3 (or Less!)

September 21, 2016 at 12:03 am

[…] you’ve admired the colorful countertop jars at your local Anthropologie but didn’t want to cough up the big bucks for them, Sarah Khandjian […]

• 30 + Heimwerken Muttertag Geschenke mit Lots Tutorials 2017 – Viele Kreative Ideen

September 18, 2017 at 8:55 am

[…] Erstellen Sie Ihre eigene Version von Anthropologie der Tafel Gewürzdosen und Ihre Mutter wird es sehr lieben! Details über Heimwerken sarahhearts. […]