DIY Metallic Print Glassware

October 17, 2013Sarah Khandjian

DIY Metallic Print Glassware | Sarah Hearts

A couple weeks ago I spotted these gold metallic printed glasses at West Elm. I loved the simple, geometric designs but didn’t love the $34 price tag. So I picked up a set of four old fashioned glasses at TJ Maxx for $8 and made my own metallic glassware using my Silhouette and some gold adhesive vinyl I had on hand.

DIY Metallic Print Glassware | Sarah Hearts

I created the geometric designs in Illustrator then converted them to Silhouette cutouts. I followed the same process for creating and adhering the decals as I did for my St. Patrick’s Day glassware. I also created my own, retro inspired designs on some old fashioned glasses I also picked up at TJ Maxx (similar).

DIY Metallic Print Glassware | Sarah Hearts

You can download both the West Elm inspired Silhouette designs and the mod geometric Silhouette designs I’ve created and make your own luxe, retro inspired barware.

DIY Metallic Print Glassware | Sarah Hearts

I recommend hand washing the glasses before you apply the gold vinyl and hand washing them after each use. I also found it easier to apply the decals by placing the center of the decal on the glass and rotating the glass as you smooth out the vinyl.

• Carrie @DreamGreenDIY

October 17, 2013 at 8:53 am

Okay. So I’m obviously a big fan of your work, but this one TAKES THE CAKE!!! I am officially asking for a silhouette kit for Christmas…Nice job!

• Riverbend Home

October 17, 2013 at 9:21 am

Wow, you make it look so easy! They came out beautifully. Love the retro inspired prints.

• Savannah Smiled

October 17, 2013 at 10:06 am

I am LOVING these, girl! I have been wanting a silhouette for quite some time. This may just give me the push!

• Carmen

October 17, 2013 at 10:17 am

Love these glasses! Can we have a ‘how to silhouette’ party? I’ve had one in my closet for 2 years, used it once & wasn’t really happy with with.

• Jamie | Yours is the Earth

October 17, 2013 at 11:22 am

Love this! Such a great and practical use for the silhoutte… and I just so happened to order 2 rolls of gold vinyl last week! 😉

• Jamie

October 17, 2013 at 12:08 pm

These are great. I actually like your designs better than theirs anyway!!! So cute!

Jamie @
    The Growing Up Diaries

• Amy @ Homey Oh My!

October 17, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Soooooooooooooooo gorgeous. I NEED a Silhouette!

• Aki

October 17, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I love the retro-printed ones the most! And since I’m not into printed glasses, I feel like I’ll be using this for something else 🙂 Thanks for the download by the way!

• Taylor

November 4, 2013 at 10:44 pm

These are purrrrdy… Just what I need to host my first Christmas. Thanks for the template!

Taylor @ http://www.trendycheapo.com

• DIY Steal: Metallic Holiday Glasses | Socially Unacceptable Furniture

November 5, 2013 at 4:02 pm

[…] a look at her DIY that you will all want to be stealing for […]

• Preciously Me

November 6, 2013 at 2:42 am

WOW! This is great ?
    Love it! Those glasses was on y wish list.
    Thanks for sharing!

• Centsational Girl » Blog Archive DIY to Try: Holiday Edition » Centsational Girl

November 12, 2013 at 2:14 pm

[…] spied a few creative remakes around the blogosphere, check out Sarah Hearts metallic gold glassware inspired by West Elm’s […]

• Sarah Hearts – Printable Thanksgiving Wine Tags

November 13, 2013 at 7:02 am

[…] and give them a mid-century modern look. The design was inspired by the pattern I created for my DIY gold glassware and is available for […]

• Melinda @ love melinda

November 13, 2013 at 11:01 am

These are lovely! I too am a fan of the simple geometric designs. And the gold!

• Lisa L

December 3, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Wow, these are great! Thanks so much for sharing the files!

• Pam

April 18, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Love these!!! Thanks!! They will go perfect with my retro bar cart 🙂

• yup

June 5, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Thank you for these they look wonderful! I actually have a completely different project in mind, but your files where just what I needed. I still might try vinyl, but have never used yet. Think you just might have inspired me with these glasses

• Jerri

December 29, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Your pattern mirrors theirs! Very classy design and thank you for your knowledge!!

1. Sarah

January 6, 2016 at 8:19 am

Thanks for stopping by!

• norma johnson

October 17, 2016 at 7:32 pm

i have a silhouette cameo how do you download your templates for the glasses?

1. Sarah

October 18, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Hi Norma, click the download link in the post above and it will automatically start downloading the Silhouette Studio file to your computer. The file will be in your downloads folder, or wherever your computer stores downloaded files from the web. Happy making!

• Lara

February 8, 2017 at 6:44 pm

These look amazing. Nicely done. Did you cover vinyl after with any type of sealer? I have a project I am working on and I am worried about the vinyl peeling over time.

1. Sarah

February 13, 2017 at 10:50 am

Thanks so much! It’s not necessary if you’re using a durable vinyl such as an outdoor vinyl. My glasses didn’t start peeling until after a couple years of use but they definitely have to be hand washed.