DIY Gold Sunburst Mirror

February 28, 2014Sarah Khandjian

DIY Mid Century Modern Gold Sunburst Mirror

Happy Friday! If you’re looking for a fun weekend project how about making a gold sunburst mirror for your home? This DIY project was pretty easy to make and costs less than $40!

I’ve always loved mid-century modern gold sunburst mirrors but hated the thought of paying more than $100 for one. So I decided to make my own using a mirror I got at Hobby Lobby for $10 (it was 50% off at the time) and some wooden dowels. Check out the video below for a step-by-step tutorial on how to make your own sunburst mirror.

Create your own mid-century modern gold sunburst mirror using a cheap store bought mirror and a few supplies!

SUPPLIES

Metallic gold spray paint, I like the Valspar
10″ round mirror, I got mine at Hobby Lobby for $10
Hot glue gun and glue sticks
Mirror template
Miter saw, I have a Makita and it’s great!
28, 1/4″ x 36″ dowels cut into the following sizes:
• 16 – 18″ pieces
• 16 – 15″ pieces
• 16 – 12″ pieces
• 16 – 9″ pieces

Looking for more DIY weekend projects? Check out all my past DIY projects here.

• Rachel | 52 Weeks Project

February 28, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Stunning! I love the video instructions too 🙂

• Anabel art-home

May 5, 2014 at 11:58 am

It’s a great video. I like very much your blog!. See you.

• andrea

June 10, 2014 at 4:04 pm

thank you so much for making such an easy to follow video along with a template! So helpful, I just finished mine and looks awesome in my living room. Awesome blog!! =]

1. Sarah

June 10, 2014 at 4:22 pm

You’re welcome! So glad you found it helpful! I’d love to see a photo of your mirror. If you share one, please tag #sarahhearts!

• Rachel

October 27, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Hi Sarah, I love this idea, I just found my mirror from hobby lobby, however I am doing a 14.75 mirror.(Large wall) How do you suggest I change my dowel placement and sizing for the increased diameter? Love your blog!

1. Sarah

October 28, 2014 at 11:09 am

Hi Rachel! I’d recommend adding two inches to each dowel length to make the finished mirror a little larger. You may need to use an epoxy type glue to hold the weight of the longer dowels. I would glue a few with hot glue and see how it holds and if you need more support try another glue. Happy crafting!

1. Rachel

October 28, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Awesome thank you!

• Sara

May 4, 2015 at 4:16 pm

I can’t wait to try this. Thank you for the simple instructions. I’ll let you know how it goes when I complete it!

1. Sarah

May 5, 2015 at 10:42 am

Can’t wait to see it, Sara!

• Kris

May 15, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Sarah, what’s the overall size of the finished piece at it’s widest? And, do you think it could be made smaller still using a 10″ mirror?

1. Sarah

May 17, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Yes, you can definitely make it smaller. It’s about 40″ in diameter as is. I would just subtract the same measurement from each dowel so you maintain the same starburst pattern.

• Amy

January 10, 2016 at 6:40 am

Thanks for the great video! I love how my new DIY mirror turned out!

1. Sarah

January 12, 2016 at 9:22 am

You’re so welcome! Please share a photo of your video using #sarahhearts!

• Brenda Foster

January 26, 2016 at 2:59 pm

I will make this for my home, thank you very much.

• Carolyn

March 10, 2016 at 2:15 am

Hi, just made my first sunburst mirror. Not happy with how it looks because of the framing around the mirror. I used beads and hot glued them to frame in the mirror. My question to you is. Where would I find a frame to frame the mirror. Looked at hobby lobby and other craft stores to join avail. Thanks so much

1. Sarah

March 10, 2016 at 6:59 pm

I’d also recommend looking on Amazon or even a local frame shop. Maybe even a thrift store for a vintage frame that you could paint? Best of luck!

• Larry

August 13, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Hello, nice article! Im a big fan of sunburst mirrors, I got 2 in my bedroom and they are beautiful.

• Karla

October 21, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Hello I am in love with you sunburst Mirrow my question is what is the difference between using dowels and skewers ? Because I’ve seen some tutorial use them but I love yours!!

1. Sarah

October 24, 2016 at 9:59 am

Dowels come in several different diameters and generally are thicker than using a wooden skewer. It just depends on the look you want!

• Alisha

July 19, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Awesome idea; thanks for sharing!