When I cleaned up and organized my office last week I came across some extra cotton tote bags that I had left over from a craft party I hosted awhile ago. Since my sister in law is getting married this weekend I thought it would be cute to make some tote bags for each of the bridesmaids. So I gathered some supplies I hand on hand and created 10 of these cute gold glitter heart totes.
I used freezer paper to create the stencils. Just like my gold stenciled pillows, I also used my Silhouette Cameo to cut the freezer paper. If you don’t have a cutting machine, you could also cut the stencil by hand using an x-acto knife. If you do this, be sure to cut on a cutting mat or scrap of thick paper, like chipboard.
– Natural cotton tote bags
– Fine glitter in any color you like
– Mod Podge (I used the gloss finish but the matte finish would also work as well)
– Freezer paper
– Heart stencil (download the SVG file to use with your Silhouette or Cricut or the PDF file to cut by hand)
– Paint brush
– Plastic cup
– Iron and ironing board
1. Cut the heart shape out of a piece of freezer paper (if you’re using a Silhouette Cameo, here are a few tips on creating a freezer paper stencil). Adhere the shinny side of the freezer paper to the tote bag using a hot iron without steam.
2. Mix equal parts Mod Podge and glitter in a plastic cup. Paint the inside of the stencil with a thin even coat. It will look slightly milky but the Mod Podge will dry clear.
3. Once dry, paint a second coat. Allow that to dry completely then add a third coat of the glitter and Mod Podge mixture.
4. Once the third coat is completely dry, very carefully peel off the freezer paper stencil. Then you’re done!
Check out the other projects I’ve created using my Silhouette Cameo.
Floral gift wrap by Rifle Paper.