DIY His and Hers Pillows
Last week I updated our bedding by sewing some cute throw pillows using my Silhouette and some scrap Marimekko fabric I had. Even though I’ve owned my Silhouette for 2 years, I never got around to using it to cut fabric until last week! Now after using it to cut out the text on these pillows I’m excited to use it to cut fabric again in future projects.
These pillows would make a thoughtful Valentine’s Day gift. They would be equally perfect as a wedding gift (you could swap the text for ‘Mr.’ and ‘Mrs.’). If you don’t have a Silhoutte you can always use scissors to hand cut the text.
to make 2, 16″ x 12″ pillow covers
– Download the His and Hers Silhouette file
– 2, 17″ x 13″ pieces of cotton fabric (this will be the front of the pillow)
– 4, 13″ x 11″ piece of cotton fabric
– 16″ x 12″ piece of cotton fabric in a contrasting color for text
– 2, 16″ x 12″ pillow inserts
– 16″ x 12″ piece of Silhouette sewable fabric interfacing
– Silhouette fabric blade
– 24″ x 12″ Silhouette cutting mat
1. Iron the Silhouette interfacing to the wrong, or back side of the fabric you are going to use for the text. Once the interfacing is completely adhered, remove the paper backing. Place the fabric right side up on the cutting mat. Cut out the his and hers design using the light weight cotton settings. Remove from the cutting mat and throw away the excess fabric.
2. Place one of the words in the center of one of the 17″ x 13″ pieces. Use the iron to press the design onto the fabric. The use your sewing mating to sew on the text. I used a straight stitch and traced the letters, creating a patch in the center of each line. You can also sew along the outline, very close to the edge. Repeat on the other piece with the other word. If you want to add a heart to one or both of the pillows, go ahead and iron it into place and sew it now.
3. Sew a double hem on one side (the long side) of each of the 13″ x 11″ pieces. Then place the his or her piece right side up. And place two of the smaller pieces you just sewed face down with the finished hems towards the center. They will overlap in the center and layer will be on top. This creates the opening so you can later insert the cushion.
4. Use 1/2″ seam allowance and sew along all 4 sides. Then turn the pillow case right side out and place the insert in. Repeat steps 3-4 on the other pillow and you’re done.
Want more Valentine’s day DIYs? Check out my past Valentine’s Day projects here.