DIY Pom Pom Bike Basket
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of IZZE. All opinions are 100% mine.
Today I’m sharing another fun and easy project that is sure to add some sparkle to your everyday! It’s a DIY pom pom bike basket and it’s the perfect functional way to accessorize your bike.
One of my unofficial 30 before 30 goals was to learn how to ride a bike. And if you read my “What I learned in my twenties” recap, you know that I did learn! Riding my bike around town is now one of my all time favorite activities. We now ride from our bungalow to the beach, to get dinner (and donuts), and to grab groceries.
We’re only a 10 minute ride to the beach but we often get too busy to go there. When you’re self employed it’s easy to work 24/7 and then some. So we’ve made a resolution this summer to have a picnic there at once a week.
My favorite bike basket picnic accessory? IZZE Sparkling Water! It’s the organic way to add some bubbly to your everyday without all the calories (it only has 10 per 12 oz. bottle) and it’s available in Blackberry Pear, Mandarin Lime and Raspberry Watermelon. So why not make everyday sparkle brightly with something that’s made with organic natural flavors and a touch of organic cane sugar? Load up your adorable pom pom bike basket with IZZE Sparkling Water, your favorite snack, and ride out to your next adventure!
DIY Pom Pom Bike Basket
White woven bike basket
Pom pom maker, 2.5″
Embroidery floss (4 skeins per pom pom)
IZZE Sparkling Water for when you get thirsty while you’re pom pom making!
- Cut a 18″ piece of embroidery floss in whatever color you’re using to make your pom pom. Fold one skein of embroidery floss in half and then in half again so you have 4 strands. This speeds up the pom pom making 4x!
- Open up the pom pom make as shown below. Wrap the 4 strand thick embroidery floss around one quarter of the semi circle. When you run out of thread, repeat this on the other side with another skein of embroidery floss.
- When you complete one semi-circle. Grab the third skein and wrap it around one half of the other semi-circle. Finish wrapping the entire semi-circle form with the 4th skein of embroidery floss.
- Close the pom pom maker and use small, sharp scissors to carefully cut along the entire circumference of the pom pom maker. There’s a notch along the edge for your scissors to slide along.
- Tie the 18″ piece of embroidery floss tightly around the entire pom pom. Double knot the ends.
- Carefully pull the pom pom maker apart and use scissors to trim any uneven ends. Use the long threads to tie the pom poms onto your bike basket.
Using embroidery floss, rather than yarn, to make pom poms makes them softer and a little more chic. One thing I always tell myself is I want to make something look handmade not homemade and I think this is just the trick. I just love how the frayed edges make them almost look like carnations.