DIY Paper Straw Flags
Update: I’ve created a video tutorial of this project! Watch the video below to learn some tips and tricks to make these in a snap!
Last week I shared a few ideas about how I would like to decorate our house for our big birthday party. I decided to stick with mint and bright yellow and pair it with a dark gray. I love this color palette! I also drew silhouettes of the Mr. and I for our invitations. I loved them so much I’m getting art prints made for our bedroom.
The party will be here before we know it, so I started making some decorations. The first thing I started with is making custom flags for paper straws. I was very easy to make and I love the way it looks. I even made a little tutorial so you can make them too. I’m loving little flags right now and these would be perfect for a wedding or a 4th of July party.
I made a free template for Word. All you need to do is type in the text boxes, choose your font color and print! I recommend printing it on smooth 8.5″ x 11″ card-stock. If you only want the text to appear on one side of the flag, delete every other column of text in Word.
1. You will need paper straws (I purchased mine here), colored card-stock paper, the template above, and an desktop printer. You will also need narrow permanent double-sided tape.
2. Use a straight edge and x-acto blade or paper cutter to cut your soon-to-be-flags into strips.
3. You should have little strips of paper that look like mine above.
4. Use permanent (not removable) double-sided tape. Place this on the back side of the paper strip. I tried using a glue stick and they didn’t hold up. I also tried using removable double-sided tape and this also didn’t hold. PVA glue would probably be the best adhesive to use, but I was too impatient to wait for it to dry.
5. Wrap the paper strip around a straw. Then use small, sharp scissor to cut a triangle out of the end of the flag. This give it the oh-so-cute flag shape.
And that’s it! Easy, right? I can’t wait to make these for summer dinner parties and just about every occasion!