Homemade Gift: Turtle Candy in a Jar
I love the holiday season and I really love holiday sweets. Though I’m a fan of all things peppermint and pretty much every seasonal flavor, anything with pecans has my heart. I mean, who can’t say no to a giant slice of homemade pecan pie? Or who can resist freshly baked chocolate pecan cookies? But my all time favorite pecan treat are turtles. Yummy pecans layered with chewy caramel and dark chocolate to be exact. Oh, and add a sprinkle of sea salt and I’ll eat a dozen.
Now you can share this yummy treat with your friends this Christmas. All you need is a few jars, Diamond of California Shelled Pecans (you can use chopped pecans too), caramel squares, and your favorite chocolate. They are so easy to make and are the perfect homemade gift to assemble with friends. Just don’t try and eat all the candy while you fill the jars like we did!
– Printable gift tags
– Colored cardstock
– Glass jars (I used 16 oz. jars)
– Baker’s twine or thin ribbon
– Hole punch
– Diamond of California Shelled Pecans (shelled or pieces)
– Caramel squares, unwrapped
– Chocolate bar, broken into approximately 1″ pieces
Step 1: Start by downloading the printable gift tags and print them on colored paper. I printed mine on kraft card stock, which gives it a rustic look. You can also use another light colored paper; mint green or even bright pink would be so cute! Cut out the tags and punch a hole in the upper left corner of each one.
Step 2: Place several pieces of chocolate in the bottom of the jar until it’s 1/3 of the way full.
Step 3: Add the unwrapped caramel squares to the jar until it’s 2/3 full.
Step 4: Top the remaining third with pecans. Add the lid.
Step 5: Wrap twine around the lid of the jar and add the gift tag and direction tag. Now your gift is ready to be gifted!
To make homemade turtles:
1. Arrange pecans in small piles on a parchment lined baking sheet or tray.
2. Place caramels and 1/8 cup heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring each time, until the caramel is melted. Add a spoonful of caramel on top of each pecan pile.
3. Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second increments, stirring each time, until the chocolate is melted. Drizzle the chocolate on top of each pecan and caramel pile. Add a pinch of sea salt if you like and place candy in the fridge. Allow it to harden then enjoy!
This post was created in partnership with Diamond of California. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thanks so much for supporting the brands that allow me to create authentic and delicious content like this on Sarah Hearts.